Saturday, February 20, 2010

Happy Mardi Gras!!

Just wanted to post a few photos of our family on Mardi Gras!  Momma went all out with fab decorations and food!  We dined on chicken and sausage gumbo, bread, and blend of the bayou (this is so wonderful that I will give yal the recipe!  It will make you slap yo' granny!  FYI, I know that is assault, but my MamMaw used to say that all of the time when she would prepare a recipe that was out of this world! 

My Moss recently mailed the recipe to me, so you too can enjoy!!

Blend of the Bayou (for the longest time I thought it was Belinda of the Bayou)
1 pkg of cream cheese
1 stick butter (yes, 1 stick of butter)
Those are for the 1st mixture
1 lb of shrimp (peeled)
1 large onion- chop it up girls (to help with the tears, but a piece of bread in the roof of your mouth)
1 bell pepper- chop it
2 ribs of celery
2 tablespoons of butter, gotta love the butter!
Saute all of those things (veggies and the shirmp in the butter to make the 2nd mixture)
1 can mushroom soup
1 can mushrooms
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp tabasco (this is hot yal)
1/2 tsp red pepper (make it hot-ter!)
1 pint crab meat (I get this in the can, cause I do not live by the ocean and am not believing that it is fresh here in B-town)
3 cups of cooked rice and 3/4 cup of uncooked rice
That is all of your 3rd mixture!
Then the last ingredient is..........cheese (sharp grated)!!
So, melt yo cream cheese and butter using a double boiler (what is that, no idea, so I used a skillet!)
Saute shrimp, onion, pepper, celery in 2 T BUTTER, then add it to your 1st mixture of crm cheese and BUTTER!  Add your soup, mushrooms, seasonings, crab meat, and rice(s).  Mix it up!  For some of you, this might look a little like you could shape and mold it into something, so I think a little bit of chicken broth could be added here, to the make it the consistency that you like (seriously, add some!)  Top it with the cheese.  Pop it in the oven 350 degrees for 20-30 minutos and VOILA!  Have your own cajun party with Belinda of the Bayou!!

We all had such a great time!  We wore hats, crowns, and beads!
Momma and Jason
Aron totally humored us by wearing a crown and robe (for this photo)!
Me and my Sweetie Pie!
Sophia even wore a mask!
We had a Kings Cake (it is pretty much bread with sugar, and I love bread and sugar!  In the cake a baby is hidden, and I totally got the baby!  Not sure what it means but I got it a took a picture of it!

I just had to post these pics of our little tiny dancer!


Love yal!

Caryn

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

aww. she is so cute. cant wait to see her

Wade & Melissa said...

Looks like ya'll had a great time! We too had gumbo for Mardi Gras, and I must have eaten King Cake for 2 weeks straight! Your little one is absolutely precious!

Alicia said...

Caryn, I am making this for dinner tonight! My "I miss real Louisiana food" husband is excited! Thank you for sharing this recipe! BTW, Sophia is cuter every time I see a new pic!!