Wednesday, January 4, 2012

See ya later sad looking plain jane cabinets!

So, lately I have been thinking that my sad sad plain jane cabinets need a pick me up. Well, since I have the husband, the two teeny tiny tots, and a dog, and multiple other things that could use my most undivided attention, I have decided that I need a project! This project will be done when the husband is not around, when those tots hit the sack, and the dog is catching some shut eye. I am going to re-do my cabinets!!!(insert crazy laugh here!)


Well, there it is. This is the before picture. Before the cabinet door on the far left was attached but I got so excited that I took the door off and then thought (DING) I need a before picture!!

So, here is the picture.


Now, I have the door off, and I thought and said to myself, "self, you don't have to go through with this, no one would know if you just put that plain jane sad door back on the cabinet frame, just put it back!"


Humm, so I thought.


Then I took a break, that door removal was hard work (don't judge).

So, after the break, while taking a load of laundry out of the dryer, I did the unthinkable.

I sanded a big line on the still hanging door.


Ha! I must proceed with this DIM (DO IT MYSELF) project now!


If I don't then my cabinets will still look sad and now a wee bit raggity!

On with the show....

Welcome to my workshop. Yes, those are cabinet doors on the floor and covering the cabinet. They have just received a good scrubbing down with soap and water. Sounds silly, I know. But I have been researching how to do this and most people say that I need to clean/ wipe down the surface...so I'm doing it. I want this project to turn out looking fantastic, and if other "workers of the wood" are saying I should do a crazy dance backwards around the cabinets and then wipe down in order for them to look their best (then I'ma gonna put on my dancin' shoes, ya dig?)


So, this is where I am at. It is 9:50p.m., my project is still on schedule (as if there is one)

There is the laundry room. No doors.


So, thank you for coming on this journey. I honestly do not know how long we will be on the road to pretty cabinets, but I hope that you will stick around to see the final project. I am sure that there will be tears (I already sniffled a bit when I got a splinter earlier), I am sure that there will be laughs (I laughed earlier when I realized, HOLY MOLEY I am really gonna do this and have to finish this). I know I can do this! With the help of my Aunt Lauren (who is kind of like my Mr Miyagi, she is what the French call and ARE-TEEST (I know that is not French yal, just using some phonics for some of yous out there!) when it comes to anything painting, refinishing, turning something that is a total junker into something that is super fab and everyone on your street will wanna have it, Aunt LALA is yo' gal!


In the end, this is what the finish should look like....


Isn't it just exquisite? It makes my heart jump up outta my chest!



Picture quality.. boo, but in person I would die for these shelves!
L-O-V-E!


How long do we think? 1 week, a month, months? Hope not, because I would really like to do the entire kitchen. Shh... don't tell Aron!


So locals, if you see me around town, at the Lowes or something and my nails are looking ever so sad, I smell a bit like sweat and hard work, and I am covered in primer paint and sawdust with some babies, then you should totally check out my chiseled arms because you know they are gone be looking so good with all of the upper body strength I am gonna be using! HA


On to step 2

Tomorrow.... WE SAND!!!!


Caryn

1 comment:

Angie said...

Ha Ha, you crack me up! I can't wait to see your progress. I'm sure your cabinets are going to look fabulous. Good luck on your DIM project!