Wednesday, January 25, 2017

20 years??? Wha??

I am just gonna put it out there... I am no spring chicken, and this became very apparent to me tonight as I was at my 20 year high school reunion planning meeting.  I cannot believe that it has been 20  years since I was in high school!  Geez, where did the time go?  There I was, sitting at a table with people that I have known since grade school, it is just crazy (even crazier is that they all really look the same... which is great and all but really??  I think they are having some work done)  #JustSaying #MightBeJealous #NotJudging
So anyways, I am sitting with these physically unchanged people, and it takes me back... like waaaaaay back!  Such fun times, and here we are planning a BIG get together with other blasts from our pasts, and I am so excited about it!  Now, I know that some people graduated and just left their high school memories in the past, that is cool, I get it.  (not really, but I understand).  For the ones that do come, I am pumped for the opportunity them.  I want to know what people have been doing!  I want to meet their families!  It is so fun to be able to take a little trip down memory lane!
Last month, I filled out a questionnaire about the waaaaay back... and I figured I could share it here and elaborate on a few things...

The Waaaaaaaay Back, 20 years ago

1. Did you end up marrying your high school sweetheart?? Awe, no, he was sweet and fun memories but I met and fell for my man friend.  I do not often think back to what coulda woulda been, because if I did.... I know there would not be an us, a Sophia, and Brayden.  The thought of that is too sad for me to think about.

2. If not did you know your spouse? I knew of him, saw him in the hallways, but that was it. I remember him to be very cute, and I did write in my diary (I'm talking junior high) that I loved him and would for forever❤️. Funny how things work out☺️  That is seriously no joke!


3. How did you get to school? I didn't have a license until right before graduation, I just never needed it. My besties drove me anywhere I needed to go😉. Shannon, Kari Jo, Christy, Amie  (forgot to change names)

4. What kind of car did you drive? When I was able finally drive I had a red Acura Integra. It was a beauty! After a few weeks of having it I backed into (or someone backed into me)... either way neither one of us were paying attention (Kevin Taylor)! Mr Hager ran out to see the commotion (since in was I the high school parking lot), and I was holding a cig (yeah, I was a skank... looking back that was so disgusting)!! #KidsDontSmoke #YoureParentsWillFindOut #SoWillMrHager #AndHighSchoolBoyfriendWontBeImpressed

5. What kind of job did you have? no job, but looking back I probably could have had one.  Although, the summer of the year I graduated, I did work for a local gift shop, The Perfect Choice, and I worked there on and off for years.  One of my best friends mom's kinda got me the job (love me some Peaches... no, not the fruit, this is just what we called her mom).  My boss became more like a friend for me.  I love her still, and I would claim her and her family as my own.  Those are my people... still.

6. What was your favorite subject? Lunch, I loved socializing best.  We would sit around the table and feast on French fries and have sodas and chips (no wonder I have a slight obsession for some of those items today)!

7. Were you a party animal? I guess I was until the clock struck 9 (I had a curfew and spent most weekends grounded) so I'd usually spend my evenings on my Swatch phone talking to Shannon, Brad , Willie, or Robert, Nathan and John P would come and talk to me at my window. Many nights Mr Durham would come out and say something from across the street! #ThosePoorBoxWoodBushes
When I could "go out" or hang out, a lot of us would hang out at the EZ Mart (Sleezy Mart), Taco Bell, or Lewey Matton's land (yes, Lewey is not the real name, but remember, I like to protect the people I write about!)  So many fun times were had out there...  There were also a lot of kids that would go out to Shadow Lake, but I never got to make the trip!  I cannot imagine asking Mike and Amy, "oh, hey, can I go out to Shadow Lake?"  Heck no, and I would never let my babies go to a place across the state line to dance at a lake... that is probably a shady place!  Shoulda been Shady Lake!

8. Were you considered a jock? No, but I knew some.

9. Were you in band, orchestra or choir? I was a part of the choir, happy happy times! I started with the choir in the 8th grade and just fell in love with it, and all of the people that came along with it were just an added bonus!

10. Did you play a sport?  Ha!  Sporty Spice was not my thing!  I was a drill teamer, or Golden Tamer. Tamers were the school dance team.  I can remember my first performance as a Tamer, a boy I had been crushing on came up to me after the pep rally and told me, "nice purple underwear", I was scared for life.  I did not have black underwear and purple was the closest thing to black I had... (died of embarrassment in that moment).  Shoulda known that boy would be bad news (it took years for me to figure that out)  #MommaTriedToTellMe #WhoKnewSheKnewWhatSheWasTalkingAbout
I also tried to play intramural volleyball and shattered all the bones in my wrist! Sports, not really my thing (obviously)

11. Were you a nerd? I didn't think so.

12. Did you ever get suspended? No, never, not even a detention!  I was a good girl.

13. Can you sing the fight song?
Yes! Eye of the Tiger, and can still do the dance!  (Duh.Duh.Duh.Duh...Duh Duh Duh...Duh Duh Duhhhhhhh, if you were a tamer, then you may remember saying this when starting the fight song dance)

14. Where did you eat lunch? Cafeteria, usually a coke and chips

16. What was your school mascot? Tiger

17. If you could go back and do it again, would you go back?
It was fun and all, but I like my present situation

18. Did you have fun at the prom?
Yes. I went to my jr and sr prom.  Junior prom was with a friend, Rustin Neck and we went with other friends (one of whom was at dinner tonight) and my senior prom was with a boyfriend... Brad Rolz.  Both proms were very fun, in fact I won a tv at my jr prom after party!  Sound lame, but proms for me were not like a 90210 prom where I was with a Donna Martin who got drunk and was nearly kicked out of school or like a Dylan and Brenda prom.

19. Do you still talk to person you went to prom with?
Friends with them on FB, I must find a picture!  I felt like such a princess on both occasions!

20. Are you planning on going to your next high school reunion?
Yes! I'm helping to plan it with a few of my friends.  It is going to be such a fun time, and so far the planning times have been great!

21. Are you still in contact with people from high school?
Yes, many.  I still live in the same town, and so many people from school are here.  I see them at the store, at school (with their children), and because of FB I can even see what some of them are eating for dinner!

22. Who was your favorite teacher?
Of all time, Mrs House (6th grade) from my Jr. High and high school days Mr Terry Hicks.

23.  Did you have a nickname in high school?
Yes.  I was called Big Perm (hello, notice my hair much?)  I think it was a reference from a movie, just cannot remember which one.  I really never liked the name, but I went with it.

24.  Am I still best friends with my best friends?
Well, some of them, yes.  Some of our friendships grew, and although we do not talk a lot, I know I could call them in a second and they would listen to anything crazy I had to say.  However, there are a few that I am not close with, could just be that they moved to new places, but I really believe if we were to connect again, we would be back!

25.  Who is the person that I want to see the most at the reunion?
So many people that I would like to see!  I just cannot wait to be that person that tells the "remember when stories"!

How was your reunion?  Did you go to yours?

No comments: