Sunday, September 10, 2017

There She Is..... Miss America

It has been a long night of talent watching, swimsuit prancing, and evening gown selecting at the Foresee house!  I was super excited to introduce Sophia to the Miss America Pageant!  I would watch the pageants growing up and just love choosing my winner and seeing how far the lady gets!  Well, tonight, Sophia jumped in the bed and was making lists with me!  Her bedtime is normally at 8:30, but she almost started crying because she would never know who won the contest (even though we could have DVRd the show), but whatev... I let her stay up!
I am sure her teacher will love her sweet precious attitude tomorrow, and I am hopeful that she does not fall asleep in class!
We made our lists... my list always includes
1.  Miss Arkansas (hello, I live here)
2.  Miss Louisiana (hello, this is where I come from)
Now, these ladies could have the most hideous dresses or do the most ridic talent, and they will ALWAYS be at the top of my list!  They are kinda like my R, S, and T... you know, those are the letters that you should always select if you are ever on Wheel of Fortune (#JustSaying #ProvenFact #OrMaybeIJustMadeThatUp)
Sadly, Miss Arkansas did not make the top 15, but that was okay, since Miss America 2017 Savvy Shields was from Arkansas,
so that would have probably been a bit sketch for us to win 2 years in a row!  I mean has that ever happened?
Just an FYI... I looked that up and yes, it has!
2013, 2014, 2015 Miss New York (wha?  3 years in a row)
1958 and 1959... Miss Mississippi (seriously the most s's on a sash #JustSaying)
1935 and 1936 Miss Pennsylvania two years in a row!
There you have it, the more you know... the more you grow (ding, ding, ding, diiiiiing)
Anyways, Miss North Dakota won tonight.
I shoulda known early on that she would win, her talent was dancing to Michael Jackson's, The Way You Make Me Feel (Hello, that is a classic and can always win a crowd over!)  In fact, as she was dancing, Sophia said, "okay, just put her as one of my top people because she is dancing to Michael Jackson!"  (out of the mouth of a babe)
After the talent portion, I chose Miss Alabama to win...
I know, I know.  Alabama?  Y'all, she sang Somewhere Over the Rainbow, and I just knew she won it!  Welp, not so much!
After she did not get selected for the next round, I just did not want to play anymore!
Then I stuck with Miss Missouri... and she did not win either!
Sophia had chosen Miss Texas as one of her top people... she had already let me know whoever can do a one handed walkover will win this thing!!
When she saw Miss Texas flip on that stage... that was her winner!
Sadly, our picks doth not make a Miss America!  Whomp... whomp!
Kudos to Miss North Dakota, you are lovely.
I cannot wait to watch another pageant with Sophia, she crawled into her bed and told me she wants to be Miss America one day.  Big dreams for my Little Red... I love her.
I had that same dream too as a little girl.  One of the first pageants I ever watched, was 1988, throwing it waaaaaaaay back!  I can remember watching it with my momma.  As soon as I saw Miss Louisiana walk that stage, I just knew she would win it.  Her name was Patricia Brant, and her talent was that she was a ventriloquist!  Loved that!  Sadly, she did not win, but she was the 1st runner up (that pageant was obvi rigged!)
Anyways, fast forward a month or so, I am in a parking lot with my momma and this woman gets out of her car, and I looked at my mother star struck and said that is Miss Louisiana... I want to talk to her!  My mother stops her, and explains that I wanted her to win Miss America, I chose her to win as soon as I saw her introduce herself!  She was so sweet, touched my shoulder and asked what my name was.......
and crickets.
I said nothing!
How old are you.....
and crickets.
I said nothing!
Would you like an autograph (I was holding a envelope from my mother's purse)...
and crickets.
I gave her nothing a said nothing!
Y'all, I just stood there, mouth breathing, holding a ripped in half envelope!
PTL for momma, answering all of her questions and handing her my envelope.
I was so star struck!
That was my brush with fame, and I choked!

Anyways, I loved that nearly 30 years ago I would watch these shows with my mother, and tonight I just came full circle watching the pageant with my Sophia. 







No comments: